Thursday, July 31, 2008

Retros G1.5 Aren't Up to the Originals?

"Some of you can be a little to picky.You have to appreciate them for what they are. A remake of a classic. And how many remakes can ever live up to the original? They are definatly not the same but they are cute in their own way!" - these are the golden words from Skylar on the MlpArena. Unfortunately, MountainCai doesn't think so! If a mountain doesn't think so, then nothing matters as they all seem small and trivial.

I don't think it is so much a problem living up to standards, but rather, Hasbro is in fact cheating on the materials/quality of the repros compared to the real G1s. Get it? CHEAT, like a husband cheats on a wife kind of cheat. For G1s, they get ribbons with a "thick" feel that you only find being used on Godiva gift chocolate boxes today mostly. The new ribbons are shorter, and they're really thin. The symbols are cheaply slapped on with a layer of gloss smeared across to ensure they stick on like a sticker.

Next, for the mold, it could have been better. Problem is not because it is a repro off an old pony, but rather, the Hasbro sculptors themselves don't really see much difference in the details! At the pony fair, the guy Kirk said he was quite impressed that their technology allowed them to so-call "scan" an existing pony into a computer and they produce a new mold from there. Pretty much like a photocopy I guess. He claims that the new mold is just like a replica. I did voice out that I thought the new molds did lose out some details, but he didn't seem to think the same way. :P I think Hasbro could have tweaked and improved the molds if they wanted to, but it just didn't seem important to them. I mean if you are really interested in catering to the collectors' community, surely you will at least make the effort to execute aesthetics with a little more precision? And I can really see why MLPs are losing out to LPS, new or retro release.

I would say if Hasbro cared a little more, the retro releases would have lived up to the originals in terms of quality standards and expectations. Sadly, Hasbro's idea of meeting standards is very different from us collectors, so there is nothing much we can do, but take it or leave it. I don't think sales is too bad, but neither is it so good that Hasbro is encouraged to rush out more. Anyway, even though I think I may sound quite negative about the retro, they're not exactly lost causes. I do realise that the Rainbows look better OUT of package than in the package. I took mine out because I had to ship them home to Singapore, and they look much prettier, even with the smaller eyes! I guess you can call it making the best of what you have ^^ They're not thaaaaaaat bad, yet, they could have been better. I think it's probably the "could have been" part that turns a lot of people off, and it's within Hasbro's ability to achieve that is not being done. AHHHHHH, the horror on how Hasbro stinges on us and still expects us to fork out the money; just makes us feel like we're only worthy of borderline importance sometimes.