Saturday, June 21, 2008

Introduction

Rhode Island - 21st-22nd June 08 - this is more of a flash back. I originally posted this on the MLPTP right after the meet, but there are valuable information that I am afraid will disappear eventually in time. Most importantly, I want the information for myself. I am reposting it on my blog so that I can retain it for an infinite amount of time.

Saturday - 21st June 08
We got into the convention, set up the tables and had everything arranged. I scooted off to see goodies surfacing from tables. I was the rare few male collectors on the online community, and rarer still, because I was Asian as well. It wasn't difficult to recognise who I was even if I went there as a pile of ash. I got to meet heaps of great people on the boards, but I had problems remembering names even though I recognised their faces. I forgot who I told that one of my aim was to bring home a Mountain Boy - Tornado in particular - because I've been waiting one for ages but never really had the motivation to go all out (ie. sell my parents, pawn my baby niece...etc) to acquire one. The same lady came back to me 5 minutes later and kindly notified me that a table at the front had the WHOLE SET of MOUNTAIN BOYS for sale! My mind swirled blankly for a split second and then went "!!!!!!" for the next few hiphenated moments as I took giant sweeping steps, literally flying towards the front table, and had to jam-brake myself as I made a rough halt in front of some of the most coveted ponies in the collecting community standing on little steps, showing off (at the very least) very good to mint conditions, sporting great shiny hair, clean bodies and minimal to no paint wear. Boy, I was excited. I caught myself chanting "MINE! MINE! MINE!" and felt relief when no one seemed to notice. I did some massive buying at the table (scored all the Mountain Boys at one go), and almost had to leave on a stretcher because I was overly thrilled and broke at the same time; a pauper's bliss that will eventually lead to a stroke.


Mountain Boys

Top (left to right): Ice Crystal, Tornado, Lightning
Bottom (left to right): Sunburst, Fireball, Thundercloud


Also, just thought I'll add one interesting detail to the pony fair. It just so happened that we had the Pony Fair, a gay parade and a Baptist Convention all taking place on the same weekend in Rhode Island. It was so coincidental that I found it HILARIOUS! God sure has a way of smiling his wisdom on his children on earth. :D