Saturday, June 21, 2008

Pony Project Giant Ponies

Anyway to start off the true highlights of the fair, below are pictures from the Hasbro booth display. The first one is made from some celebrity I think. She looks like a porcelain pony and she's literally made up of dots that are raised. Then there's the other 2 ponies everyone have seen, Twinkle Hope and the large version of the fair exclusive pony which I named Providence - lame I know, but it is easier to remember. I didn't get to attend the Hasbro tour on Friday, but the Sunday session with Hasbro more than made up for it.


Cheap China: Porcelain Pony
Literally made up of raised dots, the style some what reminds me of work from [Theodore van Russely-link]. I normally refer to her as Porcelain Pony, but for some unknown reason, the name Cheap China sounds highly appealing to me. The artist who made this pony must have a love for beautiful china designs, and probably Asian as well.

I enjoyed the artist's careful eye for detail. The design was definitely no easy feat, being so intricate. On top of that, they were constructed from dots, and furthermore, on an uneven canvas on a shape of a pony.



Providence: Giant Fair Exclusive Pony

On the right is a picture of what I suppose to be the "prototype" of the fair exclusive pony, albeit in giant form. She is pinkish magenta with intricate pink designs. Although there was no official name given to the pony, she was easily named by many collectors after the city she was showcased in, aptly called Provience. I said "easily" because the name came almost too naturally from so many people concurrently.

Providence was indeed the right name for the pony because despite strong opposition raised by collectors against more pink ponies, Hasbro still insisted on coming up with YET another pink pony for this year's exclusive. If it is not fate, then there must be some divine intervention somewhere that prohibits ponies of other colours from being made. How odd that Hasbro claims that they produce toys based on market research when they make pink ponies for collectors who outrightly declare that they want some colour else. I must say it is retardness at work. Somewhere deep under the Hasbro psyche is a pink demon telling that everyone loves pink even when no one said so. Reminds me of my Maths teachers in primary school where they keep telling us children that Maths was fun and we all love their subject. I scored 12/100 for one of my Maths exams - that was how much I loved Maths.

We're currently under the painful occupation of the Pink Crusade.


Twinkle Hope: Charity Pony
This pony was designed by I think a Japanese artist who's apparently extremely famous. Twinkle Hope was meant to be mass produced as a charity pony for orphanages. Hasbro did one a few years back, and now they're doing another one in Twice As Fancy (TAF) style.

The great thing about this artist is that she keeps her design simple and kiddish, which I guess makes it easy for most people buying a toy easy to relate to. Stars - who can't relate to stars? It may not look the most sophisticated, but it sure is my favourite among the 3 giant ponies on showcase.