Sunday, June 22, 2008

Hasbro Marketing Representatives

Jessica Mariah
First there was a marketing lady named Jessica Mariah(?? not sure of her last name) whom I forgot to take a picture of. She answered a few of my queries. Our convo sort of went like this:

Why are there so little pegs and unicorns for G3 as if they are "ethnic minorities"? Is there any reason or religious rational for that?
Ans: No, as far as Hasbro is concerned, there are no religious reasons behind that. We do not have such kind of restrictions here in the USA. We choose to focus on earth ponies because we think that they are what My Little Pony is all about.

Is there a particular system that Hasbro had employed to select exactly which pony gets to become part of the core 7?
Ans: Er....actually I don't think so. We mostly select the ones we think will sell best with little girls representing a colour and develop their characters.

Ok, then how come 4 of the 7 ponies are in varying hues of pink and not the rainbow?
Ans: Personally, my favourite was Minty, but she wasn't included because she didn't sell well. We did try to sell other colours, but at the end of the day, little girls still want pink ponies. However, do keep a lookout this year or next, Minty *MIGHT* make a brief appearance. We did try during product testing, but some colours just don't sell. I think the ponies might look slightly different in 2009 but not for sure *trails off thinking about what else to say*....

This was the rough gist of what Jessica siad, but I cant remember in full detail after a sleep.

Yeah, I noticed that in Singapore, yellow ponies always get left on the shelf.
Ans: I seem to recall a yellow pony we recently released. She's Royal Bouquet.Ans: Thank you, yes, I think she sort of got eliminated.


Hasbro Supermodel Marketing

Last but not least, is another marketing representative from Hasbro. I have her picture but stupid me didn't get her name. She was at least a head taller than me, and looked like a supermodel. She has been an intern at Hasbro for 4 weeks so far, but she's witty, open and highly accepting of opinions. I had a wonderful time chatting with her and thought she deserved some recognition.